Monday, August 4, 2014

July 2014 - The beginning

It already feels like we have been away from our friends and family for a very long time. I left Knoxville on July 7th to begin this year in Uganda.  After 10 days in DC for Global Health orientation Noel joined me and we flew to Kampala, Uganda.
Kampala Uganda is everything you would imagine a very large city in a developing country to be.  The streets are crowded, the market is flourishing, the space feels strange and unknown to us as travelers. It would be hard to differentiate it from a large city in Malawi.
We are tired and a little unsettled as we repack for several days in the home of our future, Mbarara.  The homestay family is kind and open their home to us without reservation. We have been warned and try to protect our electronics from the overwhelming power surges.  Noel had his “volt” protector totally burn up.  We will learn how to plan and protect our electronics as well as we can.
I flew to Hong Kong on the 24th to present at the 25th international nursing research conference.  Another time change and an attempt to reset my circadian rhythm.  Moving and resorting of personal luggage again and attempting to look professional.  It was an amazing conference as nurses from throughout the world came and presented their work.  It is humbling to see the amazing work that many colleagues are producing to answer some of the health care issues throughout the world.  Again I am reminded of what a small speck I am in the world. 

It is fascinating to watch and observe the behavior and routines of people. I feel like a fly on the wall observing the world.  I realize I am not invisible but feel that way as I am unable to communicate with those I sit and stand beside.  Hong Kong-big, very busy, many tall buildings, people rushing everywhere. The masses flow and move with minimal personal space around them.  I, as a westerner, am often overwhelmed by the close proximity of the people around me.  Standing in a line to go to the peak that overlooks Hong Kong was a continual reminder of just how large I prefer my personal space to be. Will this change for me?  Will  I lose some of my need for my western habits?

So today I fly back to Uganda after a 9 hour layover in Dubai.  Another culture that is so far from my known space.  An absolutely beautiful and modern airport with buzzing activity and all stores open even at 4 AM.  If feels like its own city at the airport. I am surrounded by voices that share every language of the world.  We are all so similar and yet we are so different in how we approach the day to day life and routine.  My comfort is greater in Dubai than in Hong Kong.  My internal rhythm seems out of timing with life in Hong Kong. 

So now I wonder how will I acclimate to Uganda?  Will I fall into a natural rhythm with the life, the students, and the faculty?  It already feels like I have been gone a very long time yet in reality it is only three weeks.  For today I celebrate and marvel at:
·       The wonder of people of the world
·       The absolute beauty of people that share our world
·       The sense that we are all so very similar in what we need and value in life
·       How fortunate I am to have this experience and a renewed look at life.

No comments: